Awesomeness is important.
I’ve been thinking a lot about who I choose to spend my time with, consider as friends, and why I do. I can’t pinpoint it other than the fact that I consider them all to be awesome. Which has gotten me thinking, “What does it take to be awesome?”
Here’s what I’ve come up with so far:
- Step 1: Always be helpful, no matter how small the act may seem.
- Step 2: Say “please” & “thank you.” Don’t demand, ask nicely & always thank people, even if they’re “just doing their job.”
- Step 3: Assume everyone else is awesome and treat them as such. If they prove themselves unawesome, just walk away.
- Step 4: Realize that EVERYTHING is a learning opportunity.
Now of course, this isn’t to say that these are all things that I do because I’m super-friggin-awesome (hint: I’m not). Or that I’m telling you that you have to do these things. But I do think they’re a good set of principles to strive for.
I posted these on Twitter and asked how others would write A Guide to Being Awesome. What steps would they include? I got back some great additions:
- From @geoffa: Realize everyone makes mistakes and that’s o.k. (including you).
- From @MicheleMelcher: Don’t let yourself get dragged into and wrapped negativity and gossip. Stay as far away and above it as you can.
- From @TraciUXD: Listen empathetically with a mind to wanting to understand the other’s perspective - not change their mind to yours
- From @brownorama: Take responsibility for your mistakes.
- And a photo entry from @timcaynes
What would you add? Post it here in the comments or send it to me on Twitter and include the tag #beingawesome.